When I finally figured out what kind of company I wanted to start, I knew I had to take action FAST. If not, I would come up with 101 reasons not to. That day, I woke up and made the decision it was now or never. No, I’m not a web programmer and I had never actually built a website before, but I was determined to figured it out. That’s my new motto by the way, everything is “figureoutable.” I spent a few hours researching how to do it, and by midnight, I had my new website up. Here’s how you can too:
- Find a Domain Name: I went to GoDaddy.com and started looking up different domain names. Luckily, TheNavyMom.com was available. If the one you want isn’t available, they will give you different suggestions on what you can use. Play around with different word configurations. You can use a tool called LeanDomainSearch.com to help you. Don’t buy your domain yet, wait until step 2.
- Set up a Hosting Account: A hosting account is essentially where your website lives online. Once you figure out your domain name, go to Bluehost.com and set up your hosting account. You can get a hosting account with Bluehost for as little as $5.95 per month. They have amazing customer service. When setting up your account, they will ask you what domain you want, you’ll refer back to step 1, enter your domain and you’re ready to go.
- Install a Website Platform: (WordPress.org) Your wordpress platform is what you will actually build your website/blog on. WordPress.org is the most powerful blogging and website content management system out there. It’s easy to use, Google loves it, it’s safe and secure, mobile friendly and you own it by having control over all advertising, content and changes. Once you’re all set up with Bluehost, all you have to do is click “Install WordPress,” on your Bluehost Dashboard, follow the steps and you’re done.
- Make it Pretty: Once wordpress is installed, you log in by going to yoursite.com/login and put in your credentials (that they gave you in step 3). On your wordpress dashboard, go to appearance and click on themes. WordPress has a ton of free theme templates you can choose from. After you spend all night perusing those and can’t decide on one, go to Etsy and put it “Wordpress themes.” There are a ton of beautiful themes ranging from $20 and up. To install your theme, go to your WordPress Dashboard, click on Appearance>>Themes, the click on “Add New.” You’ll upload the .Zip file. Activate your theme and you’re all set.
- Start Writing! You’ve got your theme, now it’s time to build your pages and write your posts. WordPress is very easy to use. Just click on “Pages” to create a new page. Start with “Home” and “About” and go from there. When you’re ready to write your first blog post, click on “Posts,” write your post and click “Publish.” Voila! You’re up and going!
Once I had the technical stuff installed on Saturday, I took Sunday to write out my About page, design a logo, and set up the Contact Me page. My initial logo design came free with a template I bought for $25 on Etsy. However, you can have someone design yours for $5 on Fiverr.com Now since then, I’ve obviously added a lot more content, added a ton of WordPress Plug Ins and rewrote several of my pages, but it all got started with just an idea and a little motivation to jump right in! You can make it pretty later, but for now, dive in and get started.
GO, take action on your big idea! If you need help coming up with your great idea, download my FREE Idea Starter Kit by entering your name and email in the box below. This Idea Starter kit was created to help you identify all of the things you love, the gifts you been given, and how take those ideas and turn them into a business that will allow you to work from anywhere.