Military families can check out museums around Jacksonville and the entire U.S. for free beginning Memorial Day, Monday, May 30th, 2016 through Labor Day, September 5, 2016. The Blue Star Museum program is a collaboration among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense, and more than 2,000 museums across America to offer free admission to the nation’s active-duty military personnel and their families, including National Guard and Reserve. In Jacksonville/St. Augustine, we have the following museums participating:
1) Museum of Contemporary Art The Museum of Contemporary Art is located in downtown Jacksonville. This is a great place for both adults and children. MOCA features the “ArtExplorium Loft” with 16 fun and interactive stations for children. They are closed on Mondays and open late, 5-9pm, on the first Wednesday of the month during the Downtown Art Walk. For more details, check out our recent post on our Jacksonville Adventure to MOCA.
2) Cummer Museum & Gardens The Cummer Museum & Gardens is one of my favorite activities. Their indoor interactive play area is great for toddlers and young children. After playing inside, pack a lunch, and head outside to the gardens that overlook the St. Johns River. If it’s Saturday, head over to the Riverside Arts Market and check out all of the fresh fruits and veggies from local farmers, exhibits by local artists, and entertainment on the main stage. We recently detailed our trip to the Cummer Museum in our Jacksonville Adventure series.
3) Mandarin Museum & Historical Society Learn more about the history of Jacksonville at the Mandarin Museum & Historical Society. The museum hosts story time for little ones once a month. Check their calendar for upcoming stories, music and movement.
4) Beaches Museum & History Park Choo Choo!! That’s right, we’ve got a real life chugger right here in Jacksonville Beach. If your little one loves trains, make sure you pay a visit here this summer. The Beaches Museum & History Park is located on Beach Blvd, right before you get to A1A.
5) Lightner Museum Located in the heart of St. Augustine, this museum is absolutely beautiful. Have lunch inside at Cafe Alcazar, which was formerly the swimming pool of the hotel. The little ones love to feed the koi fish, and be sure to stop at the front desk to ask for the treasure hunt to make the outing even more fun.
6) The Ximenez Fatio House Museum This historic house is a must see in St. Augustine. The tour is approximately 45 minutes and known to be extremely accurate, enjoyable and entertaining.
If you’re traveling this summer, make sure to check out the places where you’re traveling for free admission. Here’s the link to search for participating museums. Enjoy your free admission to museums this summer!
Blue Star Museums
Blue Star Museums is a collaboration among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense, and more than 2,000 museums across America to offer free admission to the nation’s active-duty military personnel and their families, including National Guard and Reserve, from Memorial Day, May 26, 2014 through Labor Day, September 1, 2014.
– See more at: http://arts.gov/national/blue-star-museums#sthash.nmvya3gL.dpuf
If you want to stay up-to-date on future posts, things to do, and to access our free eGuide, enter your email here: (We promise to keep it fun!)