As a military spouse, we often end up putting our career and dreams on hold due to the craziness of the military lifestyle. With deployments, frequent moves, children and whatever life throws at us, it can be difficult to keep great jobs or pursue careers that won’t move with us. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a business that moves when you do? It’s time to stop dreaming about working from anywhere and actually do it! Here are my 7 tips for building a work from anywhere business and lifestyle.
- Developing your Big Idea: When you’re thinking about a business to start, make sure your idea is not something that’s going to hold to you a certain location. Any ideas with a brick and mortar store front need to be crossed off your list. Think about businesses that can have online storefronts, products sold online, digital products, coaching via telephone, email and social media, eGuides, eBooks, eCourses etc.
- Know your Why: Why do you want to start a business? Is it to produce extra cash for your family? Send your children to private school? Buy a house? Give more? Whatever your why is, know it well, write it down and remember it. Every single time you start working on your business, think of your why. Let this fuel your motivation to keep on moving forward.
- Find your Passion….or Something you really like talking about: When you wake up in the morning, does your idea make you excited to start your day? If you’re trying to build a business out of something you’ve been doing for years but it doesn’t make you happy, keep brainstorming! Content creation is going to play a big part of building your business online, make sure whatever idea you decide to start your business on, that you enjoy talking about it over and over again.
- Know your Strengths: Make a list of everything you’re good at, everything you enjoy, and the things people ask you about. For example, your background may be accounting and you’re awesome it, but you’re also really good at training dogs and on the weekends you enjoy taking photos. In addition, your friends are always asking you about making baby food because you’ve mastered the art of delicious purees. Out of those strengths, you could be a freelance accountant, or you could write a “How To Train Your Dog” ebook and promote it on a blog that talks about dog training, or you could start a photography business with a specific niche of children, dogs, weddings, or family photos. Or, you can make an eCourse online on “How To Make Your Own Baby Food” and promote it on a blog where you talk about all of your different recipes. See, there’s so many options for turning the things you enjoy into businesses.
- Who do you want to serve? Do you want to work with children, busy moms, military spouses, business owners, or working parents? Think about the people you want to sell your products to, publish your blog posts for, and keep them in mind as you build your business idea.
- Tools: What kind of tools are you going to need for your work from anywhere lifestyle? A laptop, website, online storefront, blog, video camera for Vlogging (video camera), and Wifi? Make a list of everything you’ll need to get started. If you want to build a blog, all you need is a computer and wifi. Remember, everything is “figureoutable” so don’t let the idea of building a website slow you down. In our coming series, I’ll have more tips on how to build a website in a weekend.
- Decide how much you want to work: Be realistic about your work from anywhere lifestyle. If you have young children at home, maybe you can only work during nap time or after they go to bed. You may have to think about adding child care if your idea is something that requires more of your time. Or, you may need to reorganize your schedule and priortize the things you say “yes” to, in order to make more time for your new business.
Lastly, if you’re really stuck on which idea you want to run with, think about this: What would you do if you could DO ANYTHING and there was nothing holding you back, no fear of anything, what would it be?
I hope these 7 tips for building a work from anywhere business are helpful in your entrepreneurial journey. Share with me some of your ideas in the comments below.
Stay tuned for more from our new Work From Anywhere Series. If you would like more information on how to start your own business, the work from anywhere lifestyle, and would like to receive The Idea Starter Kit enter your email below: