Are you ready for a little adventure? It’s time to plan a day for just you and your honey. The weather is about to cool down, making it the perfect time for an outdoor adventure. Pick a date, call the babysitter, and get ready for a fun day out! Many activities are located right here in Jacksonville, or within a 45 minute drive. Check out this list of 11 adventure dates in and around Jacksonville:
1) Crocodile Crossing Zip-line: Located at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm, you can zip through 7 acres of trees and run across aeriel obstacles. This is an awesome experience just south of Jacksonville. Crocodile Crossing has two courses for you to choose from depending on your level of adventure. You’ll be high above the hungry alligators with more than 50 obstacles to run, zip, and climb over. After you’re done with your zip line adventure, take a walk around the Alligator Farm Zoological Park and check out the gators, crocs, birds and wildlife shows. Here’s a video of the experience.
2) Kayak: Wherever you live in Jacksonville, a kayaking experience is not far away! You can kayak Ft. George Island, Dutton Island, Guana River Preserve, Downtown Jacksonville, Julington Creek or Amelia Island. Enjoy a day exploring history, nature, or sandy beaches. Depending on your tour, you may even get to see bald eagles, manatees or dolphins. First Coast Outfitters, Kayak Amelia, Jacksonville Kayak Company, and Rippleeffect Ecotours are a just a few of the companies you can check out.
3) Train for an outdoor adventure race: Throughout the year, Jacksonville has many races that involve obstacles, lots of mud and serious fun. Here’s a few to keep an eye out for:
- Go Ruck! This challenge is a team event compared to Special Operations training and takes place September 26, 2014
- Hit&Run 5K This event just took place September 6, 2014 in Jacksonville and the Orlando race is September 13, 2014.
- Jacksonville GREAT AMAZING ADVENTURE RACE, November 22-23, 2014. Based on the TV show, this is a national D.I.T. (Do-It-Together) family friendly adventure foot race with obstacles.
4) Take a ride in a hot air balloon: If you’ve never done this before, you definitely need to add this adventure to your list. This is a perfect anniversary or birthday gift. You will get an amazing view of Jacksonville and St. Augustine in such a romantic setting. Each ride ends with a champagne toast. Check out Aerostat Adventures or Jacksonville Hot Air Balloon Rides.
5) Hiking and Biking: Whether you’re looking to hike or mountain bike through amazing trails, cycle the city, or beach cruise along miles of sandy beaches, Jacksonville has the spot for you. Kathryn Abbey Hannah Park has over 20 miles of biking/hiking trails ranging from beginner to more advanced trails. The Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail has a 14 mile trail with plenty of wildlife and shaded areas. Head down to Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve if you want to see tortoises, storks or crabs on your walk or ride. If you’re looking for more of an eco-tour through nature, Kayak Amelia’s 2 Hour Bike Tour, may make for a great adventure. If a historical city ride is more up your alley, you must check out e2Ride’s bike tours of Riverside/Avondale, Olde Mandarin, San Marco, Fernandina Beach or The Beaches or St. Augustine.
6) Paddleboarding: Stand up Paddleboarding (SUP) is a super fun way to get out on the water and workout at the same time. If you’re new to SUP, you can take a private or group lesson at JAX Surf & Paddle. They also offer Eco-Tours and Yoga on a paddle board.
7) Brewery Tour: If your idea of adventure involves your favorite craft beer, you may want to check out the Jax Brew Bus or Budweiser’s Brewery Tour. The Jax Brew Bus visits 3 craft breweries and has been rated by Trip Advisor as one of the top must do activities in Jacksonville!
9) Spend a day on the water: If there’s one thing you need to do in Jacksonville, it’s enjoy the city by boat. There are many ways to accomplish this adventure. You could rent a boat, take a tour, OR, simply find a friend with a boat and enjoy a day out on the water. Offer to pitch in for gas, bring the sandwiches, refreshments, and have some fun.
10) Let’s Race: European style indoor go-karting just arrived in Jacksonville. Autobahn‘s 80,000 square foot facility is located off 95 in the Southside area. Find out who REALLY is the best driver in the family!
11) Romantic dinner on the beach: We’ve got miles of beaches in this city. Pick up your favorite dinner AND dessert to go, grab a blanket and head to the beach. I’d save this adventure for when it starts to cool down.
If you’d like to stay up to date on future posts, play-dates, military discounts and things to do in Jacksonville, enter your email here:
Looking for adventures with toddlers? Check out this list of 25 AWESOME Activities with Little One’s in Jax.
Need a babysitter for your upcoming adventure? Check out this Guide to Finding a Babysitter in Jacksonville.
Want to find out more activities to do in Jacksonville before your next PCS? Check out The Jacksonville Bucket List.
Would you like to meet more Mom’s in Jacksonville? Click here to find 8 Great Ways to Meet New Moms in Jax.
Need a night out with the ladies? Check out this post for Mom’s Night Out in Jacksonville!